- 1 cup ( 2oo g) – dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in water to cover, drained and rinsed
- 2 – garlic cloves
- 1 – small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon – chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 tablespoon – chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon – ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon – pepper
- ½ teaspoon – salt
- 1 teaspoon – dried mint
- 1 teaspoon – ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon – baking soda
- corn oil, for frying
Method of preparation:
- Put the chickpeas, garlic, onion, cilantro (coriander), parsley, cumin, pepper, salt, mint, ground coriander, and baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) into a food processor and process until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Tip the mixture into a dish and press down with the back of a spoon. Cover with plastic wrap (cling film) and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Use a falafel mold to make 20 falafels, cleaning it each time with hot water. If you don’t have a mold, take walnut-size pieces of the mixture and shape into small patties with your hands.
- Heat the corn oil in a deep pan. Add the falafel, in batches, and cook until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels, and keep warm while you cook the remaining batches. Serve hot.