Unnakkai is a popular snack in North Kerala ( Kannur, Thalassery , Mahe and Kozhikode).It is mostly prepared during Ramadan. It can me made with quite a few variation of stuffings. However the one I am sharing with you is made with Coconut, Sugar, Egg and Ghee.
Unnakkai is a good snack item, which can fill the snack box and can be served as an evening snack for your kids.
Try this recipe at home and let me know your comments.
- Banana – 3 nos (not too ripe)
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Ghee – 1 tsp
Sunflower oil for deep frying
- In a saucepan, add sugar and water. Boil it. When it comes thick, add shredded coconut and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and egg. Combine very well and remove from flame.
- Heat a frying pan, add ghee and fry the cashew and raisins, season into the coconut filling and mix well.
- Steam the bananas for 10 minutes so that it is cooked and becomes soft.
- Peel the skin of the bananas and mash it one by one with a masher or egg beater, thoroughly.
- Apply little ghee on your hands.
- Take a lemon-sized ball of the mashed banana and flatten it on your palm.
- Keep one table spoon of coconut mixture in the center , close the edges and press slightly and roll it into the elongated shape of cotton pods/unnakkai.
- Heat oil in a kadai and slide the unnakkaya into it.
- Keep turning the unnakkai till all the sides are a golden colour.
- Drain the unnakkai and serve.
Notes: If banana dough consistency turns mushy and becomes difficult to manage , you can add 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs.