- Puttu podi (Puttu powder) – 1.5 cups
- Coconut (shredded) – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Water – as required
- Prawns (small) – 300 gms
- Onion(medium finely chopped) – 1
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chilli (chopped) – 2
- Tomato (medium) – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
For prawns masala :
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion, garlic ,green chilli ,and curry leaves. When it turns golden brown, add turmeric powder and red chilly powder and mix it .
- Add tomatoes and salt and cook till the tomato becomes soft.
- Add prawns and mix well.
- Add coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
For puttu :
- In a bowl add puttu podi , salt and prawns masala. Mix it well .
- Add water little by little till the powder becomes moist/wet.
- Keep aside the puttu mix for 10 minutes.
For filling the puttu kutty :
- Put 1 tbsp of shredded coconut and then add 5 tbsp of puttu mix. Repeat the process till the mould is filled (Make sure that the mould is not tightly packed). Cover the mould with the lid.
- Fill water in puttu kudam/in a pressure cooker. Place the puttu kutti on puttu kudam /pressure cooker. Cook it on medium flame for around 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot/warm.
Notes: To check the wetness or moistness of the puttu mix,just press the wet flour and see if they hold together. You can use any puttu podi for this. White ,brown .You can also increase or reduce the quantity.