Here I’m going to show you how to make Malabar style chicken varattiyathu.
Its a simple dish that can made regularly at home.Its nothing fancy .its plain delicious.a delicate balanced flavoured with thalasserry spices in this chicken varattiyathu.Sometimes the simplest of ingredients can make a wonderful dish.chicken dishes are a favourite dish in my family especially for kids.So I always try to cook chicken in different ways.
A wonderful dish of coconut flakes,onions.whole spices and chicken in a delicate masala makes chicken varattiyathu a must have side dish with any of north Malabar breads
If you want a tasty chicken recipe without the hassle chicken varattiyathu will be a great option.Here we goes
Chicken – 500 gms
Onions thinely sliced – 2
Green chilli – 4 to 5
Corriander leaves – 2 sprigs
Mint leaves – 1 sprig ( optional )
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Garlic – 1 tbsp
Ginger – 1 tsp
salt as needed
Tomato -1 large
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Corriander powder – 2 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
Gharam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Coconut flakes – 2 tbsp
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
water as required
- Take a large earthen ware pot and heat coconut oil ( you can use any other unflavoured oil for instead).
- when oil is hot add coconut flakes sauté till it comes golden.
- Add thinly sliced onions ,curry leaves,green chillies sauté .when the onions are cooked nice golden colour .
- Add Ginger garlic paste and sauté till a nice aroma fills your kitchen
- At this stage add tomatoes and cook covered till the tomatoes are mushy and oil leaves the sides
- Add the chilli powder,coriander,turmeric powder,black pepper powder and Gharam masala.saute for few seconds in low flame.
- Add the chicken pieces now along with salt as needed and stir for 5 minutes.cover it and cook for 15 Mins( in between open the lid and stir) the gravy coats on the chicken pieces.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot