Literally it means chicken leg.but this crunchy snack is purely vegetarian!
This Thalasserry 4’o clock snack is made of Tapioca,the starch rich root vegetable originated from latin america and now a most sought after ethnic food of Kerala…Kozhikkal get its name just because of the shape.It looks like fried chicken leg.After sliced in the shape of potato fingers,tapioca fingers then dipped in a batter of gram flour and spices and deep fried in coconut oil.
No doubt,this “made in thalasserry”cant be seen anywhere out of this small region..Must try this recipe.it will vanishhhh!!!
- Tapioca – 1/2 kg
- Chick pea flour – 1/4 cup
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Green chilli – 2 finely chopped
- Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger paste – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt according
- Coconut oil for deep frying
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
- Peel the skin of the tapioca.slit it into thin pieces 9 approx 4 inch pieces long and as broad as a pencil)
- Mix the rice powder , chick pea flour along with salt and water to make a semi thick batter like idli batter
- Add green chilly ,ginger garlic paste ,chilly powder ,curry leaves and cumin powder.
- Add tapioca and coat well with batter
- Heat oil in wide kadai/wok pick 6 slices of tapioca along with the batter.press it slightly with your palm and slide it into the oil.
- Reduce the flame to medium .fry till crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a plate layered with kitchen tissue