Squid is one of the all-time favourite seafood delicacies. It is a rich source of protein and helps in weight loss. It is also known as Koonthal or Kanava in Kerala. Koonthal Ularthiyadhu is a very popular dish in Kerala. It is very easy to prepare yet very tasty. Almost everyone will love the flavour of this dish.
- Kanava/Koonthal/Squid – 500 grams
- Onion – 2 medium (sliced)
- Ginger – 1 ½ tbsp (crushed)
- Garlic – 1 tbsp (crushed)
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – 4 sprig
- Black pepper (coarsely grounded0 – 2 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Clean and cut the squid into strips or rings. Wash out well and
drain completely, set aside.
- Heat a pan/ kadai with oil and add mustard seeds, allow it to
- Add sliced onions and saute well, till the onions are soft and
- Add crushed ginger and garlic, saute until raw smell goes.
- Add squid and cook for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Add turmeric powder and salt, combine well and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame. Do not add water,as it will leave out water to cook. Then add curry leaves and black pepper powder. Combine well, Stir well for 3-4 minutes, until water completely evaporates.
- Adjust salt and drizzle little coconut oil on top. Mix well.
- Serve along with rice and morru Curry.