Size plus sea mussles, ripend coconut and ofcourse, the aroamatic kayama…..I have many reasons for a lunch of kallummakkaya thenga choru. Thengha Choru or Coconut Rice is popular dish in the Malabar coast. It is an easy to make recipe that can be made using different varieties of seafood like Prawns, Squid and Mussels (Kallumakkaya).
- Rice (jeerakashala/any small rice) : 1 kg
- Shredded coconut (to extract milk) : 3 cup
- De shelled mussels : 1 kg (marinated with Chilli powder and turmric powder)
- Crushed shallot : ½ cup
- Green chilli : 4
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 tbslp
- Tomatoes : 2 medium chopped finely
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Coriander powder : 1 tsp
- garam masala (optional) : ½ tsp
- Clove : 3
- Cinnamon : 1 inch stick
- Fennel seed : 1 ½ tsp
- Curry leaf : 5 stalk
- Salt to taste
- Ghee : 2 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
1. Out of 3 cup of shredded coconut extract 3 cup of first extract and 3 cup of second extract and keep aside
2. Heat a cooking pot (heavy bottom) add ghee and oil .Add marinated mussels and fry for 3 minutes
3. Then add cinnamon, fennel seed and clove stir well. Add crushed shallot ,ginger garlic paste and green chilli
4. Once nice smell come,add chopped tomatoes and saute till it comes mushy .
5. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chopped green chilli, curry leaf and salt.
6. Pour coconut milk and cnce it starts to boil add washed rice.
7. Close the lid and cook for 20 minute. Mix intermittently
8. If it is too sticky uncover the pot and cook without lid the last 5 minutes.
9. Serve hot